At Gastrograph AI, we believe a better-tasting world is better for everyone. We are the de-facto technology standard for modeling and predicting consumer perception and preference related to food, beverage, and other consumer products. Our unique AI quantifies subjective data and predicts what many believe to be impossible: the individual taste preferences of over 3 billion consumer groups worldwide, today and in the future.
While Gastrograph AI has 10+ years of sensory data, the database fits in memory and does not require "big data" techniques. Instead of large amounts of low dimensional data, we have a small amount of very high value high dimensional data. Working with such a data set gives the team a strong preference for mathematically elegant and thoughtful models - we care more about a deep understanding of the underlying statistics than the possibilities of deep neural networks.
About the Role
Our capabilities are evolving as we automate our prediction and reporting workflow on a new data platform. We are looking for experienced Data Scientists to join the team responsible for all data applications, including model building, model testing, benchmarking, data visualization, and model performance. Gastrograph AI empowers the data science team to own all phases of the model development process. We look for data scientists who are excited by the challenge of solving problems using a wide array of modeling and quantitative techniques.
What You'll Do
- Develop new models for new predictive capabilities.
- Test, train, update, or re-architect existing models with new data and research.
- Develop new interactive data visualizations for the customer reporting platform.
- Push the boundaries on sensory data applications by expanding our technological reach into new areas.
- Work with the data engineering and application engineering team to understand client requirements and translate requirements to model capabilities.
- Build reusable code and develop technical documents to represent new features.
Less common areas of work may include:
- Time-sensitive development of new models to rapidly test capabilities requested by a customer - while Gastrograph AI does not build custom technology for any one customer, we will prioritize and align our product roadmap based on customer demand.
- Monitor mission-critical real-time analysis for product development cycles.
- Write technical white papers for presentation at research conferences (in collaboration with the Gastrograph AI R&D team or R&D teams at other companies).
- Write technical blog posts to promote new features and capabilities.
What We Are Looking For
- Masters, Ph.D., or equivalent (including projects in cryptography, quantum computing, or work for the “census bureau”) in a quantitative field such as Physics, Genomics/Computational Biology, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or Econometrics.
- Experience with complex data flows or model chains with multiple pathways from intermediary states.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to scientists, engineering teams, and business audiences.
- Natural curiosity and desire to learn.
- Fluency in a scripting or computing language (e.g. R, Python, Scala, etc.) is required, though we’re language-agnostic for prior experience.
- Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
- Experience with Postgres for database, AWS for cloud resource, R for model building, Kubernetes, Clojure, Datomic, Terraform.
How We Work
We're a New York-based distributed workforce. Our mission is to create a better-tasting world. Our decision-making is shaped by discovering and solving market and user problems, not by the corner office or "smartest people in the room." We value and prioritize transparent communication, believe that good ideas can (and do) come from anywhere, so we encourage Gastrograph AI team members to work together across positions and roles.
We are currently fully remote but working out of our New York office as necessary, and situations permit. If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs, and have a solid team-player mentality, we'd love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion At Gastrograph AI
We're serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We purposely built Gastrograph AI to be a company where people love their work and show respect and empathy to their colleagues. Diversity typically includes but is not limited to differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. It also means that Gastrograph AI employs a zero-tolerance policy for employees who exhibit behavior contrary to these principles.
We want A+ talent and expect to pay for it. We consistently offer cash compensation in the top quartile for each role at Gastrograph AI. Additionally, all employees are shareholders and will greatly benefit from what we expect to be a significant increase in enterprise value in the short term.
Benefits: Gastrograph AI offers an excellent benefits package for full-time employees that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, unlimited PTO, paid company holidays, and an employee stock plan.Location: New York, NY (distributed workforce)