At Analytical Flavor Systems, we believe a better-tasting world is better for everyone. We are the de-facto technology standard for modeling and predicting consumer perception and preference related to food, beverage, and other consumer products. Our unique AI quantifies subjective data and predicts what many believe to be impossible: the individual taste preferences of over 3 billion consumer groups worldwide, today and in the future.
AFS is currently working with many of the world's largest CPG brands, providing them answers to their most important product development questions. How? We have built the world's largest sensory database, with our AI making predictions on current and future consumer preferences no other solution can make. Our distinctive position in the $2.5 trillion CPG world provides those who join us with a significant opportunity.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced VP of Engineering to build and manage a diverse development team. The responsibilities of a VP of Engineering include leading a team of developers, application engineers, and data engineers, collaborating with product managers, UX, data science, and R&D, and improving company policies and standards.
Success in this role requires a leader who has prior organizational leadership experience, collaborates with team members, and is a strategic problem-solver. Ultimately, a top-notch VP of engineering should demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to connect with other engineers and developers and have a solid foundation in software design.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with Product Management, managing and delivering the complete product lifecycle from concept to execution.
- Build, develop, and manage the engineering team capable of carrying out initiatives.
- Develop engineering strategy to improve development and product delivery velocity continuously.
- Design, implement and monitor all operations and key performance metrics/operational efficiency for the engineering team.
- Lead the team through management and mentorship.
- Recruit and develop top engineering talent.
- Develop standards and procedures to ensure quality standards are met and maintained.
- Maintain and optimize budgets to meet goals.
- Recommend new technology and ideas to improve sprints and efficiency.
What We Are Looking For
- B.S. and/or an advanced degree in Engineering, Data Science, Computer Science, or similar.
- Experience with Data Engineering is a major plus.
- 8+ years of experience in engineering leadership with 5+ years experience leading an engineering team.
- Previous working experience in software design and developing B2B customer-orientated platforms.
- Experience working with front-end, back-end, and data engineering teams.
- Proven success working closely with Product Management, contributing to the product strategy, and helping to deliver on the product roadmap.
- Strong verbal, visual, and written communication skills to explain approaches to all levels in the organization, including key stakeholders.
- Extensive experience in working with stakeholders to create hiring strategies to develop quality teams.
- The ability to think strategically and see the big picture.
- Experience managing a distributed team.
- Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- Must be knowledgeable and continually curious about industry trends, best practices, and change management.
- Extensive engineering expertise in tooling, specifications, product maintenance, budgeting, and software products.
- Experience using Jira or similar engineering-focused project management tools.
How We Work
We're a New York-based distributed workforce. Our mission is to create a better-tasting world. Our decision-making is shaped by discovering and solving market and user problems, not by the corner office or "smartest people in the room." We value and prioritize transparent communication, believe that good ideas can (and do) come from anywhere, so we encourage Analytical Flavor Systems team members to work together across positions and roles.
We are currently fully remote but working out of our New York office as necessary, and situations permit. If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs, and have a solid team-player mentality, we'd love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion At Analytical Flavor Systems
We're serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We purposely built Analytical Flavor Systems to be a company where people love their work and show respect and empathy to their colleagues. Diversity typically includes but is not limited to differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. It also means that Analytical Flavor Systems employs a zero-tolerance policy for employees who exhibit behavior contrary to these principles.
We want A+ talent and expect to pay for it. We consistently offer cash compensation in the top quartile for each role at AFS. Additionally, all employees are shareholders and will greatly benefit from what we expect to be a significant increase in enterprise value in the short term.
Benefits: Analytical Flavor Systems, Inc. offers an excellent benefits package for full-time employees that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, unlimited PTO, paid company holidays, and an employee stock plan.
Location: New York, NY (distributed workforce)